[Insight-users] Reproducible results and semi-open science

Andriy Fedorov fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 16 18:07:46 EDT 2008

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your reply. As always, it is very insightful! :)

I do not have the answers on the open questions you have. Indeed, one
has to completely rethink what is legal and what is not. For now, I am
going to leave these questions for my superiors to answer.

Let me answer the practical questions you had.

>  The concerns are rather of practical nature:
>
>            How big is software "A"   ?
>
>            How easy is to automatically
>            build/install software "A" ?

Alexandre was right in his guess that one of the software packages I
mentioned was CGAL (http://cgal.org). I didn't want to go into
specifics right away.

CGAL is big, and it does not use CMake. It also depends on Boost
(http://boost.org, which is distributed under an opensource license).

>            How many other potential submissions
>            could benefit from software "A"
>            being available in the IJ server ?

I cannot answer this one, but I think both CGAL and Boost are quite
generic to benefit other users.

>  Please let us know if this answer your original question,
>  and whether you have any additional questions regarding
>  the Insight Journal.

How difficult it is to have CGAL installed on the IJ server? Can this be done?

I assume the decision whether to install package like CGAL on IJ
server or not can depend on the value of the potential submission
which will benefit from it. If this is the case, please let me know --
I am ready to discuss this offline.

Thank you

Andriy Fedorov