[Insight-users] Reproducible results and semi-open science

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 19 12:15:22 EDT 2008

Hi Andriy,

Thanks for the clarification.

The CGAL's license:
http://www.cgal.org/license.html

propagates a widespread misunderstanding of what "Open Source" means.

They still think that the "Free" in "Free Software" refers
to price, and not to Freedom.

Whoever makes the split of software options as:

         "open source"   versus  "commercial"

have not understood at all what the free software movement is about.

     Open Source software *CAN* be commercial.
     Open Source software is about *Freedom*, not price.

The CGAL developers may have skipped the reading of Richard Stallman's
GNU manifesto. A reading that should be mandatory for anybody who is
going to dare to talk about free software and open source software.

-----

Going back to the practical aspects:

There are Debian and Ubuntu development packages for CGAL.
This would make the installation of CGAL a lot easier that
if we have to building in the Insight Journal machine.

Could you please list the exact list of packages that you
will require ?

      a) libcgal-dev (3.2.1-1)  ?
      b) libboost-dev (1.33.1)  ?

Please let us know,

BTW: Please keep this discussion in the developers and or users list,
      this is a topic of potential interest to the larger community.