[Insight-users] 3D separation of touching grains

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:39:04 EDT 2008

Hi,

There are a couple of factors that influence how well a distance
transform/watershed approach will work - namely the variability in
size of the objects you are interested in, how circular they are and
the degree of overlap between them. If you have a densely sampled 3D
image then I'd imagine that the objects would be touching rather than
overlapping. Overlapping problems tend to arise more often in
brightfield microscopy situations.

The other factor to consider is whether there is information in the
raw image data that might help, for example are there cell nuclei that
don't overlap that would could be used as markers to segment the cell
body.

My rules of thumb are 1) If the overlap is large then a distance
transform based approach won't split the object - in this case you'd
need to think carefully about the measurement you want to make and
whether it makes sense when there is a lot of overlap. 2) If the
objects are not close to circular the a distance transform approach is
likely to over segment.

If the size of the objects don't vary much then you can do various
sorts of filtering to help reduce the chances of over segmentation.

Finally, do you really want to segment? If you only want to count or
estimate size distributions then there are other approaches you might
look at.