[Insight-users] how to fill a holed 3D surface

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Apr 30 16:39:30 EDT 2008

Hi Xabier,

Thanks for posting the image that describe your problem.
It helps a lot to understand the issue.

 From your description it seems that the "surface" is actually
defined in side a 3D image, in the form of a collection of
voxels.  Is that right ?

How thin is the surface ?
1 voxel  ?
2 voxels ?

Is it
26-connected ?
14-connedted ?
or just 6-connected ?

It is unlikely that current ITK filter could extrapolate
that surface, in the way you want it.

You could get close, by using a convex-hull approach,
assuming that the surface itself doesn't have a strong
curvature, but even in that case, the convex-hull will
simply generate a blunt edge, not a pointy edge.

You could consider modifying the Voting filters to run
by counting only voxels that are close to the tangent
plane to the surface. E.g. add a plane estimation and
then count only the votes of voxels in that plane, or
simply weight their votes by their proximity to the plane.

In this way you could grow that pointy edge and keep it
a bit in the surface.

----

That being said,
I would be rather curious of how you generate that
surface in the first place, and whether that method
may be the one where is worth to spen some coffee
searching for improviements.