[Insight-users] Segmentation -> Spatial objects

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 04:56:50 EDT 2008

Hi David,

You are correct: there are no filters (at least none that I know of)
which explicitly create SpatialObjects. However, if you want to deal
with SpatialObjects, it should be trivial to create them using the
output of your specific filters. For example: say you are using a
filter which extracts a PolylineParametricPath defining a road, then
you can easily create a LineSpatialObject from the path.

I guess it comes back to your original question: so what's the point
of SpatialObjects? From my understanding, there are three main uses
for spatial objects:
   1. Input/output: MetaIO supports reading and writing SpatialObjects
   2. Rendering as a scene graph: see http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/SOViewer
   3. Registration: see Code/Algorithms/itkImageToSpatialObjectMetric.h

Hope this helps.

Regards, Dan