[Insight-users] Dashboard Submit Hangs

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Aug 19 16:44:39 EDT 2008

On 8/17/08 7:17 AM, Kevin H. Hobbs said:

>Every night I run the Nightly builds and tests of CMake, ITK, VTK, and
>ParaView, in that order. The machine is gargon.hooperlab on the dashboards.
>Everything was fine for a while. Recently the VTK, and ParaView builds have
>not been running. Also I've been collecting ctest processes, and my nightly
>cron jobs have not been finishing. I'll kill all of the processes or restart
>the computer. The next day all four builds show up on the dashboard. The
>following day, however, VTK and ParaView are not built, I have 2 ctest
>processes, one copy of my build script, and, here's the real gem,
>Insight_build/Testing/Temporary/LastSubmit_20080817-0100.log.tmp exists, and
>does NOT end with "Submission successful".

I'm now almost certain we are seeing the same thing.

Last night we took cron out of the picture and ran our build script by
hand.... while building CMake it got stuck at this point:

----------
 99/100 Testing CMake.Toolchain                  Passed
100/100 Testing CMake.GetPrerequisites           Passed

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 100
Performing coverage
----------

There is a ctest process consuming 100% CPU that has been stuck for
hours.  gdb shows it stuck here:

#0  0x947d05e2 in select$DARWIN_EXTSN ()
#1  0x00285c0d in kwsysProcessWaitForPipe ()
#2  0x00285832 in cmsysProcess_WaitForData ()
#3  0x001f7b7d in cmSystemTools::RunSingleCommand ()
#4  0x001f7f6e in cmSystemTools::RunSingleCommand ()
#5  0x0004977c in cmCTestScriptHandler::RunConfigurationDashboard ()
#6  0x0004cb1f in cmCTestScriptHandler::RunCurrentScript ()
#7  0x0004d79a in cmCTestScriptHandler::RunConfigurationScript ()
#8  0x0004d858 in cmCTestScriptHandler::ProcessHandler ()
#9  0x000147d2 in cmCTest::Run ()
#10 0x000046f6 in main ()

It has the following file descriptor open:

/Users/builder/kitware/CMake-gcc-dbg-i386/Testing/Temporary/
LastCoverage_20080818-0100.log.tmp

And that file contains only one line:

Performing coverage: 1.21909e+09

I suspect a CMake bug.  We're using CMake 2.6.1.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com