[Insight-users] Orientation Information

J.S.Wijnhout at lumc.nl J.S.Wijnhout at lumc.nl
Wed Aug 27 05:07:25 EDT 2008

Hi,

As far as I know ITK does not use a standard coordinate system, it uses
the coordinate system provided by the image data. If you use DICOM, the
coordinate system is the patient coordinate system (with the z-axis
running from foot to head, the x-axis pointing to the left side of the
patient). However in older DICOM formats it was customary to use the
device coordinate system, which can be different for each device type
(which is why it should not be used any longer). I can imagine that for
data other than DICOM, different coordinate system definitions exist.

Hth,
Jeroen