[Insight-users] directory settings for .lib and .h files in microsoft visual studios 2008

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 2 17:38:28 EST 2008

Hi Marcus,

Installing all ITK headers in a single directory is a good suggestion.

We have struggled with this (even when using CMake) due to limitations
of Microsoft Visual Studio, which have trouble managing a large list
of directories in the path of locations to search for header files.

Please feel free to insert this as a "feature request" in the bug
tracker:  http://public.kitware.com/Bug/main_page.php

Regarding the shared libraries, in practice, the only reason for using
ITK as shared library is when you are using it from the Wrapping (e.g.
Tcl, Python and Java).  Otherwise, shared libraries do not give you
much advantage, given that ITK is mostly made of C++ Templates.

------------------------
Marcus Lindblom wrote:
> I'm also new to ITK, and I thought I'd bump in. :)
>
> What if one wants to use ITK but not use cmake for one's own project?
>
> I struggled a bit and found it quite difficult, since ITK requires ~10
> different include paths and ~25 libs to be specified for an executable
> to compile and link with it.
>
> Assuming we will do a few utility libs which use ITK and 5-10 apps on
> top of those, it gets messy rather quick.
>
> The ability to package ITK so that it can be with single include path
> and a few DLLs, like Boost or VTK, would simplify things immensely. I
> suspect you'd need to rewrite the include-statements a bit, to use full
> paths and mostly <> rather than "". Is that planned?
>
> Also, building shared libs yielded only one dll (ITKCommon.dll) and a
> lot of static libs (which I had to add in order to link successfully). I
> would've expected a few DLLs that shared stuff like libjpeg/libtiff, etc ?!
>
> Is that expected?
>
> There seems to be a lot of great and useful stuff in there, but it's a
> bit hard to use at the moment, unless one uses Cmake.
>
> Cheers,
> /Marcus
>

> Dan Mueller wrote:
>
>> Hi Roel,
>>
>> Welcome to ITK!
>>
>> If you are using CMake correctly, then it should automatically handle
>> all the compile and link paths. You might want to read some of the
>> "getting started" guides:
>>     http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/
>> particularly
>>     http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-I.pdf
>>
>> I assume from your email you are using Visual Studio (what version?)
>> on Windows (what version?). Are you using CMake to generate the
>> solution/project files?
>>
>> Regards, Dan
>>
>> 2008/11/21 Roel Kierkels
>> <rkierkels-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I started using ITK toolbox. To my opinion I installed the toolbox
>>> and Cmake
>>> correctly. The helloworld program is working fine but I had to add a
>>> number
>>> of paths in Tools --> Options --> Project and Solutions --> VC++
>>> Directories
>>> in order to find the correct lib and .h files. Then I tried the next
>>> example
>>> Image1.cxx from the ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf and I had to set more and more