[Insight-users] directory settings for .lib and .h files in microsoft visual studios 2008

Marcus Lindblom macke at yar.nu
Wed Dec 3 07:54:58 EST 2008

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Installing all ITK headers in a single directory is a good suggestion.
>
> We have struggled with this (even when using CMake) due to limitations
> of Microsoft Visual Studio, which have trouble managing a large list
> of directories in the path of locations to search for header files.

It's also affects compile times.

> Please feel free to insert this as a "feature request" in the bug
> tracker:  http://public.kitware.com/Bug/main_page.php

Good suggestion. Will do.

> Regarding the shared libraries, in practice, the only reason for using
> ITK as shared library is when you are using it from the Wrapping (e.g.
> Tcl, Python and Java).  Otherwise, shared libraries do not give you
> much advantage, given that ITK is mostly made of C++ Templates.

Um. It's also pretty useful if you're developing an application made up
of several dlls in itself, not just one executable. You can end up with
all sorts of problems with global data (factories, singletons, etc) if
you put the same function/data in several dynamic libraries, which one
has to with static libs. Also, it seems a bit wasteful to include full
copies of ITK-functions in every DLL that need them, as that will make
the app a bit bloated.

We were planning on using the python wrappers, but will also very likely
need to work directly with the c++ API.

Cheers,
/Marcus