[Insight-users] Generalizing vesselness with respect to dimensionality and shape

Luca Antiga luca.antiga at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 16:23:31 EST 2008

Dear Alex,
 good test, it should become a test for all vesselness filters. As to
your problem, can you please send me the code for your test? I'll take
a look at it the next couple of days.
Best regards

Luca

2008/12/7, Oleksandr Dzyubak <adzyubak at gmail.com>:
> Dear ITKers,
>
> Recently I decided to give a try to "Generalizing vesselness with
> respect to dimensionality and shape" from IJ
> http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/175
> with respect to various object recognition at different scales.
> To make life easier, I generated an image with the white noise and six
> Gaussian  3D lines
> with diameters 20, 10, and 5 (isotropic voxels with1 mm size).
> So everything is "homogeneous, isotropic, and symmetric".
> The package comes with a set of tools and I chose "Frangi approach" at
> this moment.
> After playing with steer parameters, I was able to extract all six lines.
> However the extracted objects had shapes that were not "perfectly"
> rounded as expected but
> rather having "3/4 sun eclipse" like shapes. Well, at first I though
> that it is the noise what causes
> such a behavior. So I regenerated the same images without noise.
> But the result was the same "3/4 sun eclipse" like shapes.
>  From the article by Frangi et al, it seems that shapes, positions,
> and diameters have to be preserved if scale was chosen correctly (to
> some extend, of course).
>
> Am I missing something? What I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Alex

Inviato dal mio dispositivo mobile

Luca Antiga, PhD
 Biomedical Technologies Laboratory
 Biomedical Engineering Department,
 Mario Negri Institute
mail: Villa Camozzi, 24020, Ranica (BG), Italy
phone: +39 035 4535-381
email: antiga at marionegri.it
web: http://villacamozzi.marionegri.it/~luca