[Insight-users] ITK on Cell Broadband Engine

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 12:34:58 EST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Just curious.
 From IBM guys I heard that PS3 (or blades with Cell BE) could be very
productive because of:
1) Cell processors can be accessed (using IBM libs, of course) for
parallel computing;
2) Blade memory circuits (eight in case of PS3) are distributed over the
blade and
located in a very close vicinity of Cell processors (in contrast to the
Intel CPU dime
where the memory is "grouped" and located "far away" from "CPU")
that shortens the data routing between Cell processors and distributed
memory.

That's fine unless you are not overloading the onboard blade memories.
What if you are? Let say if I have to process 1 GB image.
In this case the code will request "external" (not on blade) memory
which actually can kill the productivity.

Do you have any experience in processing large (lets say over 100 MB) images
on PS3 (or Cell BE Blades)? Is a speedup still 10 (or even 60)?
What is the image size limit that will still keep a speedup high?

Regards,

Alex