[Insight-users] finding shapes in a drawing

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 10 14:42:25 EST 2008

Hi Ahmed,

This is an interesting and challenging problem.

You should be able to use ITK for several of this tasks.

In particular you should consider running the Hessian filter, and
performing Eigen analysis on the Hessian.

By analyzing the Hessian, you should be able to identify the signature
of

    a) Lines
    b) Corners
    c) Intersections

You could also use the Hough transform filters in order to locate

     * Line segments
     * Circles

The most challenging tasks will be to deal with locations where many
lines are intersecting simultaneously....

You may want to go with a progressive approach in which you extract
first the trivial elements, such as lines and corners, then you
proceed to deal with more challenging shapes.