[Insight-users] Measuring tumor diameter

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 22:09:36 EST 2008

A very old technique for measuring the length of objects might be
relevant to you. The length is often hard to define precisely, so one
approach is to compute the length of the maximum geodesic and use that
as the length. In your case this could be equivalent to the maximum
diameter. This was originally proposed by Lantejoul, I believe.

I'm not sure about implementation details in the original paper -
perhaps there is a neat trick to do it efficiently. You can certainly
compute the maximum geodesic between one border point and the rest of
the tumour using fast marching methods, and then repeat the process
for all border voxels. This sounds slower than your idea of computing
the euclidean distance between all pairs of border voxels, but can
deal with more complex shapes.