[Insight-users] Measuring tumor diameter

Andriy Fedorov fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 12 09:19:02 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Richard Beare <richard.beare at gmail.com> wrote:
> A very old technique for measuring the length of objects might be
> relevant to you. The length is often hard to define precisely, so one
> approach is to compute the length of the maximum geodesic and use that
> as the length. In your case this could be equivalent to the maximum
> diameter. This was originally proposed by Lantejoul, I believe.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the pointer. I am not sure I understand how this applies
though, since from my basic understanding and from reading the
abstract of this paper of Lantejoul
http://dx.doi.org.proxy.wm.edu/10.1016/0031-3203(84)90057-8, geodesic
distance is calculated along an arc. I don't see how it can be used
for diameter calculation. Maybe I need to find the article and study
this more.

Andriy Fedorov