[Insight-users] ITK 3.6 : Serial Transformations

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Feb 3 17:41:24 EST 2008

Hi Ruppert,

          I fully agree with Gaetan here,

We have a major void on reviews and that is preventing
the smooth flow of new code into the toolkit.

I'm afraid that the concept of "review" has been associated so
deeply with the corrupted practices of the publishing system
that ITK users feel no motivation to perform them.

Maybe we should change the term for something that sounds more
to software engineering and less to the childish behavior of
"I-did-it-first" that plagues the papers in our domain.

That being said....

Regarding the technical points that you brought up.

0) Please post them as reviews to both papers.
    When we move code into the Code/Review directory
    we go through the reviewers comments again.

1) Composing Jacobians will only be possible by
    creating a cumulated array of parameters that
    is the concatenation of the parameters of all
    the transforms. If this new parameters array
    has M elements, then the composed Jacobian
    will have M x N elements, where N is the
    dimension of the space (.e.g image dimension).

2) Arbitrarily long chain of transform shouldn't
    be a problem. However users will have to be
    aware that the total number of transform
    parameters comes with a price on memory
    requirements and computational time.

3) Possibility to define some fixed parameters,
    sounds like a good idea, and not too hard
    to implement.

4) Interactions with readers and writers will
    be challenging, but possible.

It seems indeed that you have enough drive on this
issue for posting your own paper to the Insight Journal.

I would suggest that you contact the authors of the two
other papers and work together in a single common solution.

Generating that sort of interaction is what
publishing papers should have been all about....