[Insight-users] Initializing transform in pointset registration

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Jan 7 17:24:23 EST 2008

The CenteredTransformIntializer class, as the doxygen documentation
mentions, is meant to be templated on Images, not PointSets.

There is no class in ITK that will help you with initializing your
transform, although there are registration methods such as ICP.

If you do not have any correspondances between the point-sets ( I assume you
don't ), you can compute a crude rigid-transform initialization yourself by
computing the centroids of the two point sets and the Eigen Vectors of the
two pointsets and then finding a transform that maps the axes (defined by
the eigen vectors, with the centroid as the origin) onto each other.

HTH
--
Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,