[Insight-users] bug 0005991 DOS carriage returns in ITK .zip release cause problems on OS X / unix from

Dan White white at mpi-cbg.de
Wed Jan 23 11:20:55 EST 2008

Hi Luis

re bug 0005991
which i think you just closed?

On Mac OSX the default archive format in the Finder is tio make .zip
files.
So many users are getting used to being able to use zip on OSX.
There is little sense in saying zip is only for windows,
and tar/gzip is only for unix.
Is there a reason why the contents of the zip and tar/gzip archives
should be different once they are unpacked? I think not.
This caught me out on OSX and it took a while and some hacking and
help from the lsit to figure out the problem.
There is not info on the download page that says th ezip of only for
windows, and all other OSs should use the tar/gzip archive. One
assumes that both archives contain exactly the same contents, and that
they are not platform specific, which they should not be.... right?

cheers

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Senior Microscopist / Image Processing and Analysis
Light Microscopy Facility
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 DRESDEN
Germany

New Mobile Number!!!

+49 (0)15114966933 (German Mobile)
+49  (0)351 210 2627 (Work phone at MPI-CBG)
+49  (0)351 210 1078 (Fax MPI-CBG LMF)
+358 (0) 468102840 (Finnish mobile, only when I'm in Finland)
http://www.bioimagexd.net
http://www.chalkie.org.uk
dan at chalkie.org.uk
( white at mpi-cbg.de )