[Insight-users] Re: bug 0005991 DOS carriage returns in ITK .zip release cause problems on OS X / unix from

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jan 23 14:05:36 EST 2008

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments on this bug entry:

Here is a short descrition of the status:

When we package ITK we do the following:

a) checkout the CVS version in a windows system and zip it.
b) checkout the CVS version in a Linux system and tar.gz it

That's why the .zip package has DOS ends of line.

We could of course add a (c) where we checkout the code in
a Linux system, and zip it, or check it out in Mac and zip it.
but the we will have to explain Windows users why the zip file
has Unix ends-of-line... Which, again will come down to editing
our web page to say something like:

a) Package for Mac: ITK-Mac.zip
b) Package for Linux: ITK.tar.gz
c) Package for Windows: ITK-Windows.zip
d) Package for Sun: ITK.tar.gz (because Sun has a broken tar tool)

and so on...

On the long run this problem will be solved by using CPack and packaging
the release in a packaging method that is native for every platform.

In the meantime...here is the question:

Is there a way of creating a .zip file that will work fine both
in MacOS and in Windows ?

If so, we will be happy to follow that method.

   Please let us know if you could suggest a way of doing this,