[Insight-users] INSIGHT JOURNAL: managedITK (ITK 3.8 ?)

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Jul 7 16:15:51 EDT 2008

> Is there material that can be merged/shared with the other
> wrappings ?

Dan,

I wanted to ask you the same question — Luis did it first :-)

Despite you said that WrapITK is a "totally separate project",
ManagedITK has reused lot of code from WrapITK. Actually, they still
share a lot of code — a quick look at
managed_itkCastImageFilter.cmake, from ManagedITK, and
wrap_itkCastImageFilter.cmake would be quite convincing: they even
share the comments :-)
They are not all as similar of course, so the question is:

   Would it be possible to avoid the current code duplication?

The reason why I wanted to ask that question now, is because WrapITK
has made great progress in the last weeks. Some times ago, I began to
work on a pure swig implementation of WrapITK. The work was left
unchanged for a quite long time, but recently, Ali decided to work on
the java part. His work convinced me to work again on python part. At
this time, wrapitk unstable is nearly completed in python — I already
began to use it for real image analysis task, to benefit of the
numerous improvements — and Ali is using java part on his side. The
code is available at:

   http://code.google.com/p/wrapitk/source

In WrapITK unstable, I took care to completely separe the type
declarations — in the wrap_*.cmake — and the language specific code.
The goal is to make all that hard job of defining template parameters
for type instantiation fully reusable for something else than wrapping
with cableswig or swig. The examples I had in mind were:
* wrapping python with PyBoost
* ExplicitITK
* ManagedITK

If you agree, I would be pleased to try to see with you a way to merge
ManagedITK and WrapITK.

Regards,

Gaëtan

--