[Insight-users] INSIGHT JOURNAL: managedITK (ITK 3.8 ?) (LICENSING)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 8 12:03:01 EDT 2008

Hi Dan,

Let me address in isolation the licensing issue.

We will need one of these two conditions to be met:

A) The copyright holder of the code should make it available
    under a License that grant similar freedoms to the ones given
    by OSI-approved BSD license used by ITK. (Note that a GPL
    license will not be compatible).

                         or

B) The copyright holder of the code should transfer
    the copyright to the Insight Software Consortium.

In case (A) the files will appear in the ITK repository
with both the original copyright notice, and a ISC
copyright notice (since we will have edited the files
by them, and created derivative works), and the test of
the License will have to be included along with the files.

In case (B) a representative of the copyright holder
(presumable an officer of the intellectual "property"
office at your University) should fill up and sign
the form

This procedure is described in the Wiki page:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms#Life_Cycle_of_a_Submission

The status of the copyright transfer forms is traced
in the following Wiki page
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Copyright_Transfers_Status

Our preference is to follow option (B) since in this
way the code is uniform and we have a single copyright
holder to deal with. However, both options are valid.

Please note as well, that the BSD license is not limited to Copyright.
It grants Patent rights as well, such as the right to make, use and
sell. Therefore, your University should be aware that they are granting
a non-royalty, universal permission for using any methods implemented
in the code, for which they may hold patents.

    Please let us know if you have any questions
    about the procedure.