[Insight-users] Geodesic Active Contours Segmentation with 3D volumes

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 00:16:51 EDT 2008

Hi Rehab,

Firstly, the image pixel type should not (significantly) affect the
processing time. The image pixel type will affect the memory
consumption of the program.

Second, the Fast Marching filter does it's operation in floating
point. In native ITK, you *can* use integer input images (such as
signed short), provided you use the NormalizationFactor property
(please read the documentation in itkFastMarchingImageFilter.cxx).
Unfortunately, you have spotted a problem with ManagedITK: it does not
produce Fast Marching wrappers for integer images. I will fix this in
the next version. You can fix it yourself by adding the following
lines to ManagedITK\Source\Modules\LevelSetFilters\managed_itkFastMarchingImageFilter.cmake:
    WRAP_IMAGE_FILTER_REAL(2)
    WRAP_IMAGE_FILTER_USIGN_INT(2) # Add this line
    WRAP_IMAGE_FILTER_SIGN_INT(2)   # Add this line

(Gaëtan: I also notice WrapITK has these lines missing/commented out.
Another reason to integrate!)

Finally, the IndexOutOfRangeException seems to be occurring because
you are creating a 2D index for SeedPosition, rather than a 3D index.
Try something like this:
    IndexType SeedPosition = new IndexType(int.Parse(v1),
int.Parse(v2), int.Parse(v3));
    Seeds.Add(new NodeType(SeedValue, SeedPosition));

Hope this helps.

Regards, Dan