[Insight-users] Diffeomorphic demons registration: difference between MedINRIA and command tool?

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Thu Jul 10 06:37:45 EDT 2008

Hi Jinkoo,

It seems that the "Max. Step Length" parameter from the MedINRIA
interface is not passed to the diffeomorphic demons algorithm. It thus
seems that this parameter is not taken into account. MedINRIA
therefore seems to always use a max step length of 2 pixels which
might explain the smoother behavior you observe. This bug is know and
will be corrected soon.

Apart from that, the default gradient type in MedINRIA is the
symmetric one and the default update rule parameter is the compositive
one to speed up the computations.

Last difference is that if you start with an initial spatial
transformation, the command-line tool from the insight journal will
generate an initial deformation field. In MedINRIA, the behavior is a
little different, the moving image will first be resampled and the
diffeomorphic registration will work with the resampled image starting
from a zero initial deformation field.

I hope this helps. Le me know if this does not helprecovering the
residual error.

Best regards,
Tom Vercauteren