[Insight-users] ActiveShapeModelCalculator flawed?

Matthias Kirschner Matthias.Kirschner at gris.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jul 17 04:36:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am currently implementing a class library for the active shape model
in n dimensions. The current itk implementation works only in 2D. After
examining the itk code in detail, it seems to me that there is a flaw in
the current implementation of the PCA
(itkActiveShapeModelCalculator.txx, Revision 1.5):

After solving the eigenproblem, the eigenvalue vector (line 623) is
flipped to sort the eigenvalues in decreasing order. The goal is to
extract the eigenvectors that describe 98 % of  the variance. But since
the order of the columns of the matrix is not reversed, the function
invoked in line 633 extracts the wrong vectors.

I'm not sure if I'm right, maybe I just didn't get the meaning of the
code. Maybe somebody else has time to check it?

Thanks,
Matthias