[Insight-users] TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter

Ryan Barr ryan_barr_eac at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:09:41 EDT 2008

Hi, I am trying to generate a Simplex Mesh surface based on a vtk polydata file input.

Using
the DeformableModelSimplexMesh example as a basis only, I can convert a
vtk model (with Polygon cell types) into an itk triangle mesh and then
produce an itk::SimplexMesh using TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter. I
then successfully return it back to a vtk model.

However, when I
use the TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter it produces something that
looks little like the images in Delingette's publications (e.g.
triangles instead of Delingette's hexagons), and moreover, it makes the
surface more complex, roughly doubling the number points and cells,
which is once again contrary to what I thought a simplex mesh should do.

Furthermore, nearly all the readings I have seen on simplex meshes, and
the origin of the DeformableModelSimplexMesh example itself, are from
Delingette.

My question is, what is the TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter based on, if not Delingette's work?

Also,
there are a number of other SimplexMesh filters written by the same
author as TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter (e.g. SimplexMeshGeometry).
Are any of these other ones capable of producing something more akin to
what Delingette uses?

Below are a couple of the Herve Delingette publications I am referring to...

Soft Tissue Modeling for Surgery Simulation, 2004
Simplex Meshes: a General Representation for 3D Shape Reconstruction, 1994

Thank you,

Ryan Barr
Computer Engineering
University of British Columbia