[Insight-users] cross compiling ITK with cmake 2.6 and mingw32 on linux kubuntu

Margarete Herbst margarete.herbst at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 06:24:14 EDT 2008

hello guys,
in order to cross compile my program on linux kubuntu gutsy gibbon for
windows I browsed kitware's cmake site and found some information
(http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CmakeMingw) on this topic - ok, I could
successfully compile this hello world c-app into hello.exe.
my app currently uses the libs ITK, VTK and kwWidgets and I can compile it
on kubuntu for kubuntu without problems. for cross compiling it for windows
I need first to cross compile the libs themselves. so I thought to start
with ITK ... but unfortunately, even here, I faced the first problems:
I installed the debian packages mingw32, mingw32-binutils and
mingw32-runtime and gcc-multilib on my kubuntu. I also installed cmake 2.6.
I CVS-checked-out the hottest ITK-version from itk.org, then I wrote a
toolchain-file (similar to the one presented at
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CmakeMingw) and then ran cmake (with
toolchain-option). cmake successfully configured.
but the subsequent make later interrupted:
[ 44%] Building CXX object
Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/CMakeFiles/itkvnl.dir/vnl_matlab_write.cxx.obj
In file included from
/home/marge/libs/ITK-src/Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_matlab_write.cxx:14:
/home/marge/libs/ITK-src/Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_matlab_header.h:16:
error: variable or field `type' declared void
/home/marge/libs/ITK-src/Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_matlab_header.h:17:
error: variable or field `rows' declared void
/home/marge/libs/ITK-src/Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_matlab_header.h:18:
error: variable or field `cols' declared void
/home/marge/libs/ITK-src/Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_matlab_header.h:19:
error: variable or field `imag' declared void
/home/marge/libs/ITK-src/Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_matlab_header.h:20:
error: variable or field `namlen' declared void
make[2]: ***
[Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/CMakeFiles/itkvnl.dir/vnl_matlab_write.cxx.obj]
Error 1
make[1]: *** [Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/CMakeFiles/itkvnl.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

can someone beyond you help me, please? is there someone who has experience
with mingw32 and cmake cross compilation for windows on linux systems? are
there eventually some documents/tutorials available explaining how to
configure ITK for mingw-cross-compilation?

margarete