[Insight-users] Thresholding Windowing

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jun 8 14:25:17 EDT 2008

Hi Prabhat246,

The GDCM DICOM reader will take care of applying the Slope and Intercept
to the image intensity values for you.

For a typical iso-value to use for segmenting Bone from CT datasets you
can look at the Hounsfield Units:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Hounsfield_Units
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hounsfield_units

You could start with a value of 400, and experiment with values above
and below that in order to capture most of the structures that you
are looking for.

Please note that depending on how noisy you CT dataset is, you may
want to apply some smoothing before performing the iso-surface
extraction.

You may be interested in looking at the source code of the example:

          InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
                     itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx