[Insight-users] limit of memory load in itk programs?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jun 18 14:38:21 EDT 2008

Hi Monica,

a) Is your machine a 64bits platform ?

b) Have you verified how far you can get by
    "manually" allocating memory ?

    with code such as:

      main(int argc, char * argv [] )
      {
      size_t numberOfBytes = atol(argv[1] );
      char * buffer = new char[numberOfBytes];

      delete [] buffer;
      return 0;
      }

    Please give it a try and let us know
    how many gigabytes you can actually allocate
    in this machine.

c) ITK have some limitations but they are pretty high.

    We run nightly tests that use up to 11Gb of RAM in
    some of the Image Registration framework tests.

    That's well above the 3.5Gb that you are reporting.

Let's start with characterizing your machine.

We can then try the large memory tests in ITK,
to see which ones can be run in your platform.

  Please let us know what you find from the test in (b).