[Insight-users] ICP complexity

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jun 23 22:04:34 EDT 2008

Hi Felix,

The computation time should be in the order

a) O(N*M) : For the section that search for nearest point

                and

b) O(N) for the section that computes the actual metric value

Where

N = number of points in the Fixed Point Set
M = number of points in the Moving Point Set

BTW: please not that ICP is not expected to be
      a symmetrical problem. Therefore, although
      selecting the set of points with the least
      number of points as the Fixed Point Set
      may give you faster computation, it may
      not necessarily give you the best registration.