[Insight-users] ICP complexity

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 24 13:46:52 EDT 2008

Hi Felix,

Good point,

I should have specified that the order estimation was for
a single iteration only.

It is hard to anticipate how many iterations will be needed
for an ICP registration.

The number of iterations needed will depend on factors such as

   * The spatial configuration of points inside every set
   * The separation and relative orientation of both sets
   * The optimizer used and the setting of optimizer parameters

That being said,
Just to give an example,

The 2D example in

    Insight/Examples/Patented/IterativeClosestPoint1

when run with the files in Insight/Examples/Data:

IterativeClosestPoint1.exe
       IterativeClosestPointFixedPoints.txt
       IterativeClosestPointMovingPoints.txt

runs to convergence in 60 iterations.

while the 3D example

     Insight/Examples/Patented/IterativeClosestPoint2

when run as

IterativeClosestPoint2.exe
       IterativeClosestPointFixedPoints2.txt
       IterativeClosestPointMovingPoints2.txt

runs to convergence in about  2000 iterations.