[Insight-users] Fixed ... build question: Souce/Binary & Eclipse

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Jun 26 11:01:19 EDT 2008

Maureen:

Please file a bug report at itk.org/Bug. Although not true-out-of-source
for all intents and purposes, having the binary directory as a child of
the source directory should work.

To make full use of eclipse functionality, its better to have the binary
directory to be a child of the source directory, otherwise source code
navigation, indexing and Version Control integration, using the Team
Menu goes out of whack. Basically these things fail to function, out of
the box, outside the "root project directory", in our case the source
directory.

The disadvantage with this approach is that you cannot have 2 build
trees (ex: release/debug) for the same source tree, the reason being
that eclipse stores a .project and a .cproject file in the root
directory of the project (ie the source directory).

(1)  http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Eclipse
      describes how to import an existing makefile project (possibly
generated using cmake) into eclipse.

(2)  There is also the Eclipse CMake Unix makefiles generator, which you
can use instead of (1)

HTH
--
karthik

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Hi Maureen,
>
> Having the source and binary directory to be siblings
> is not a requirement.
>
> It is interesting to see that having the binary directory
> as a child of the source directory produces any problems.
> I don't see a reason why the binary directory couldn't be
> a child of the source directory... I have done this very
> often with small projects, but I'll have to give it a try
> using ITK to see if I can reproduce the problem that you
> are reporting.
>
> About Eclipse,
> my understanding is that CMake supports Eclipse already.
> (but haven't tried it myself).
>

> Any takers ?
>

>    Thanks
>

>       Luis
>

> -----------------------
> Maureen Haining wrote:
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>> The build failed when the itk src and bin directories were parent
>> (src) and child (bin). When I made the directories siblings I was
>> then able to build without any problems.
>>
>> Is it intended that the out of source build directory must be a
>> sibling to the source?
>>
>> Also, I am now trying to set up a development environment for itk in
>> Eclipse CDT. Do you know of any good documentation that describes the
>> best way to do this? I have found bits and pieces on the internet but
>> my biggest sticking point is the fact that Eclipse does not like the
>> out of source build. How can I get the source code imported as well
>> for debugging purposes?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Maureen
>>

>> On 6/23/08, *Luis Ibanez* <luis.ibanez at kitware.com
>> <mailto:luis.ibanez at kitware.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Maureen,
>>
>>     Thanks for the update.
>>
>>     It is however strange, that changing from in-source to out-source
>>     should have an effect on getting the build to fail.
>>
>>     If that's the case, this may indicate a bug in our configuration
>>     process.
>>
>>     Could you please confirm that the build only fails in your system
>>     when building in-source ?
>>

>>        Thanks
>>

>>            Luis
>>

>>     ---------------------
>>     Maureen Haining wrote:
>>
>>         The out of source build must be in the same folder as the source
>>         ... this seems to have eliminated any configure problems and I
>>         have successfully generated make files!
>>         Thanks
>>         Maureen
>>
>>          On 6/18/08, *Luis Ibanez* <luis.ibanez at kitware.com

> [...]