[Insight-users] ITK LICENSE CHANGE TO OSI-APPROVED BSD LICENSE: STARTING WITH ITK 3.6

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 10:15:51 EDT 2008

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the update on ITK's licence which is really great.

This reminded me of a small question I had with respect to third-party
libraries. Is there a wiki, a web page, or something else that lists
the licences of the third-party libraries that ITK uses or may use?

I first thought that ITK only depended on BSD-like libraries. Then I
realized that FFTW is only GPL. So maybe I missed some other potential
problems...

It would be nice to make sure that ITK users are aware at compile time
that they introduce non-BSD-like dependencies (if they actually do
so).

In ffmpeg for example, one needs to call "./configure --enable-gpl" in
order to introduce GPL dependencies. In the case of ITK, there could
be a CMake flag called for example "ENFORCE_BSD" that would among
other explicitely set the USE_FFTW flags to false.

Let me know if I am not being clear here. Licence questions is not my
speciality... I can also file a bug report if you feel it's necessary.

Best regards,
Tom Vercauteren

P.S: The FFTW issue is all the more problematic that currently, the
VNL alternative is broken:
http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=6453
It would thus also be nice if the patch proposed in the above bug
report could be introduced in ITK 3.6 :)