[Insight-users] openmp download

Peter Cech pcech at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 29 12:49:37 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:57:54 +0530, AKSHATHA PAI wrote:
> Hi everyone...
>
>    Am new to openmp can u help me by telling from where can i get OpenMP
> download so that i can run pragma programs on C or C++ in  Eclipse...
> i need the download so that i can set
> 1- Preferences
> 2- Properties
> and then create and run programs

OpenMP support has to be built into the compiler (or its version) you
are using. I only know about GCC for which you need version 4.2.0 or
newer. You'll need to add -fopenmp to your compile and link flags.

If you are using linux, the easiest way to get the compiler is to
upgrade the system to a recent version. Some distributions also allow to
install multiple versions of gcc, then you'll have to set your Eclipse
to use the newer one.

On windows, have a look at MinGW (http://www.mingw.org), you can get
version 4.2.1 there.

If you are using another compiler, search documentation or product
websites for information which version supports OpenMP and how to
activate it for compilation/linking.

By the way, ITK does not rely on OpenMP for multithreading. You might
want to have a look at how it's done. The multithreading filters model
has its limitations but it might be enough for your needs.

Regards,
Peter