[Insight-users] how to use the new segmentation methods?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Mar 30 13:11:27 EDT 2008

Hi Orientation f

1) Being "old" is not necessarily bad.
    Algorithms do not have expiration dates.  :-)

2) I haven't seen many algorithms getting "embarrassed",
    this tend to be a rather exclusive human emotion.

    Have you found a particular instance of a segmentation
    problem where you are having difficulty obtaining results
    with existing ITK segmentation methods ?

    If so, could you please share with us the specifics of this
    segmentation problem, and describe the details of the methods
    that you have attempted, along with the specific parameters that
    you have tested ?

    We prefer to discuss issues only on technical terms, and with
    enough information for reproducing the problem that you may have
    encountered.  Anecdotic reports with emotional overtones tend to
    be rather useless, we delegate those to the realm of decadent
    journals and conferences dedicated to vanity research, where
    emotions such as "embarrassment" naturally belong.

    The goal of ITK is not to play the childish game of "we have the
    best algorithms". Instead we focus on providing implementations
    of useful algorithms using sound software engineering. When new
    methods become available, we are more than happy to adopt them
    and include them in the toolkit, as long as they are not infected
    with intellectual "property" burdens, such as undisclosed patents.

3) Does ITK gets updated ?

    Yes, it gets updated through contributions
    to the Insight Journal.
http://www.insight-journal.org/InsightJournalManager/index.php

    These contributions are ported to the Insight/Code/Review
    directory, where they are brought up to the software engineering
    standards of the toolkit, and are refined to match the requirements
    of our backward compatibility policy.

    Details of these procedure are described in the ITK Wiki:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms

4) Where can you download new ITK files:

    a) From the CVS repository, every day.
       Recently added algorithms/classes will
       be found in the Code/Review directory.

    b) From the Insight Journal, where contributions include source code,
       image data and the parameters required to *reproduce* results.

5) You seem to be interested in finding an open source implementation
    of fast variational level set methods.

    Do you have a specific method in mind ?
    Maybe a specific paper in mind ?

    If so, could you please let us know which one(s) ?

    We will happy to contact the authors to request them to make
    available their source code, so that we can port it to the
    Insight Toolkit and make it available to the larger medical
    image analysis community.

  Please let us know,