[Insight-users] VectorImage Registration Metric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri May 2 15:30:50 EDT 2008

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for trying this.

Your last example is quite telling.  :-)

We just looked at this problem with Karthik and concluded that the best
way to proceed will be to customize a couple of ImageMetrics to be
compatible with the VectorImages.

It would be to hard to modify the existing metrics to work also with
Vector images, without having to introduce widespread changes in the
toolkit (e.g. like replacing NumericTraits::Zero with NumericTraits::
ZeroValue( pixel ) in all the toolkit....).

I will give it a try to draft a customized image metric during the
weekend and will get back to you.

Would MeanSquare be the best metric ?

Would you need a scaling factor between components ?

E.g.
for a vector image, the MeanSquare image could compute

   sqrt( SUM ( vectorPixelFixed - vectorPixelMoving )^2 )

But the (V)^2 operation could be replaced with

                      V M V^T

Where M is matrix that introduces scaling among the components.
E.g. the Green component of your images may be one order of
magnitude dimmer than the one of the Red component.

Is that the case for your images ?

    Please let us know,