[Insight-users] Using ITK for segmentation.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon May 5 19:14:42 EDT 2008

Hi Orientation f.

Why do you want to do the segmentation on 2D slices and go throught the
trouble of composing them together in 3D, when you could simply perform
the segmentation directly in 3D ?

ITK provides N-Dimensional methods that are applicable to 2D, 3D and 4D
datasets.

Are your 2D Slices stored in a series of DICOM files ?

If so, you may want to start by converting them to a MetaImage 3D file
by using the program in

     Insight/Examples/IO/DicomSeriesReaderImageWrite2.cxx

Then experiment with the segmentation methods described in the ITK
Software Guide:

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

all of which are available at

     Insight/Examples/Segmentation

You may also want to try some of the segmentation applications in

     InsightApplications

in particular SNAP, will have a good variety of LevelSet methods.

It will be also useful for you to experiment with Slicer

    http://www.na-mic.org/Slicer/Download/Snapshots/

Both Slicer and SNAP will offer the option of extracting iso-surfaces
from segmented datasets.

Alternatively you can try very simple segmentation methods such as
the ones illustrated in

     InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
                itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx

Please let us know if you have any question regarding
specific segmentation methods.