[Insight-users] MaximumKernelWidth

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon May 12 18:15:38 EDT 2008

Hi Bert,

1) Bad news: unfortunately the maximum kernel width is set by a single
    value for all dimensions of the image.

2) Good news: it may not be too hard to modify this filter in order
    to allow you to use a different kernel size on each dimension.
    When you look at the actual code in GenerateData(), lines 195,
    215,216,217, the Gaussian operator is actually run on every
    dimension at a time.

    You could follow the example of what is done with the MaximumError
    variable.

3) Is your motivation to perform blurring with a different sigma
    along each dimension ?

4) The pixel type may be indeed an issue. Both the test and example
    that we have in ITK are using float as pixel type...

    Are you seeing any artifacts in the output when you use an unsigned
    char image as input ?

Please let us know,