[Insight-users] questions about spatial objects & line extraction

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 03:10:44 EST 2008

Hi Judith,

Welcome to ITK!

I don't think the SpatialObject component of ITK will help you with
line/circle extraction. From my understanding, there are three main
uses for spatial objects:
  1. Input/output: MetaIO supports reading and writing SpatialObjects
  2. Rendering via a scene graph: see http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/SOViewer
  3. Registration: see Code/Algorithms/itkImageToSpatialObjectMetric.h

Instead you might consider using the Hough Transform:
    http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1HoughTransform2DLinesImageFilter.html
    http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1HoughTransform2DCirclesImageFilter.html

There are some examples included with ITK:
    Examples\Segmentation\HoughTransform2DLinesImageFilter.cxx
    Examples\Segmentation\HoughTransform2DCirclesImageFilter.cxx

Perhaps you might also be interested in OTB, a toolbox built on top of
ITK for remote sensing image processing:
    http://otb.cnes.fr

I am not involved in this project, nor have I used it, but I have
noticed they have some extensions for line detection (mainly for roads
from satellite images).

Hope this helps.

Regards, Dan