[Insight-users] directory settings for .lib and .h files in microsoft visual studios 2008

Marcus Lindblom macke at yar.nu
Thu Nov 27 10:42:19 EST 2008

I'm also new to ITK, and I thought I'd bump in. :)

What if one wants to use ITK but not use cmake for one's own project?

I struggled a bit and found it quite difficult, since ITK requires ~10
different include paths and ~25 libs to be specified for an executable
to compile and link with it.

Assuming we will do a few utility libs which use ITK and 5-10 apps on
top of those, it gets messy rather quick.

The ability to package ITK so that it can be with single include path
and a few DLLs, like Boost or VTK, would simplify things immensely. I
suspect you'd need to rewrite the include-statements a bit, to use full
paths and mostly <> rather than "". Is that planned?

Also, building shared libs yielded only one dll (ITKCommon.dll) and a
lot of static libs (which I had to add in order to link successfully). I
would've expected a few DLLs that shared stuff like libjpeg/libtiff, etc ?!

Is that expected?

There seems to be a lot of great and useful stuff in there, but it's a
bit hard to use at the moment, unless one uses Cmake.

Cheers,
/Marcus