[Insight-users] "Image Adaptor" for compressed/non-itk::Image object

Daniel Faken dfaken at coventor.com
Wed Oct 29 12:13:01 EDT 2008

Hello,

  I would like to use a compressed representation of our data for the
speed-map in the FastMarchingImageFilter, but the itk::ImageAdaptor only
works for other itk::Image objects.
  Is there another way to do this?

  I found a discussion from 2005 suggesting basically reimplementing
what itk::Image does beyond itk::ImageBase (see [1], [2]), but I'm
wondering if anyone has worked further on this.

[1] http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2005-April/012593.html
[2] http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2005-April/012622.html

  Our data tends to be very large (e.g. 10000^3), so I need to avoid
creating a flat representation.
  Of course, FastImageMarchingFilter creates another image, the
LevelSet, of the same dimensions.  But for that I was going to try
making a 'sparse image' class, to avoid storing the data not near the
moving-front (which will almost always be most of the data!).  I was
thinking of maybe having an image of NxNxN blocks, most of which will be
marked as 'infinite' or 'under-threshold', and promoting/demoting to
full-data blocks as necessary.  Any input on this is welcome too!

  Thanks very much for any help.

Daniel Faken
Coventor Inc.