[Insight-users] 2D/3D Intensity based registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Oct 30 08:28:49 EDT 2008

Hi Pafal,

1) The 3D/2D registration is currently performed only between
    one 3D dataset and one 2D dataset.

    If you take your 3 independent 2D datasets, you could compute
    the pose of the 3D dataset with respect to each individual
    2D dataset.

2) Yes you can initialize the transformation to identity,
    but that is not necessarily a good idea, specially if
    the actual final transform is too far from identity.

    That is, you should rather initialize the transform with
    a value that is close to the real pose.

3) This example has several independent command line executables.
    You don't have to run them in sequence. What the readme file
    is describing, is a procedure for performing a self-validation
    experiment. That is, you take a 3D image, produce its DRR as
    a 2D image, and then feed that 2D image in the 2D/3D registration,
    and should get as outcome the same transform parameters that you
    used during the DRR generation.

    In a real problem, you would skip the DRR independent generation.

4) The commands shown in the README.txt file are "almost" copy/pasted
    from real commands as typed in a Linux machine.  You could convert
    them to a batch file (for your platform) with a bit of retouching.