[Insight-users] RecursiveSeparableImageFilter and ReconstructionImageFilter

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 05:35:19 EDT 2008

Hi,

It is actually a lot harder than it first seems. Streaming, in its
simplest form, assumes that you can break an image into blocks,
process, and glue back together and get the same result as you would
processing the entire image at once. Reconstruction is one of a family
of filters that rely on some form of connectivity operator, and
therefore, while the result usually won't depend on a pixel on the
other side of the image, it can. The direct, naive, implementation of
reconstruction will repeatedly apply small dilations to the image -
this approach could probably be streamed with care, but the algorithm
is much slower. So if you have a truly massive image and you want a
true reconstruction, then this might be the way to go. Otherwise it is
necessary to figure out some rules that let you fix edge problems when
you glue the image tiles back together - I believe some of the
watershed implementation does that - but I'm not aware of any
equivalent algorithms for morphological reconstruction.