[Insight-users] RecursiveSeparableImageFilter and ReconstructionImageFilter

Julien Michel julien.michel at c-s.cnes.fr
Wed Sep 3 05:29:52 EDT 2008

Tom Vercauteren a écrit :
> Hi Julien,
>
> As far as I understand it, RecursiveSeparableImageFilter should be
> recursive and separable meaning that (for a 2D image) the filter first
> requires entire lines and then requires entire columns. It can thus
> not easily benefit from streaming (even though it could be
> multithreaded).
>
> If the filter needs to be run in one direction only, it should however
> be possible to do streaming with regions split in the other direction.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Hi Tom, Hi Gaetan,

Thanks a lot for your replies. I understand that streaming is not
straightforward for these implementations. I think I'll have a look at
the algorithms and publications used to better understand how it is
working.

My naive idea is that to compute a gradient, or the opening by
reconstruction, for a given pixel, you should not need pixels that are
30 000 pixels away from it. So, given a subregion of the input image,
there must be a minimal region where values of the gradient on the full
image and on the subregion are equivalent. The question is how to
determine this minimal region. If we know how to to do it, with a litle
overlapping we should be able to turn a lot of filter streamable, which
would be very useful (especially for us).

Best regards,

Julien

Julien MICHEL - Ingénieur d'études - Traitement d'images
CS Systèmes d'Information - Division ESPACE
Département Information Géographique & Image
Téléphone : +33 561 17 64 27
Email : julien.michel at c-s.fr