[Insight-users] TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter high memory usage

Niccolo' Camarlinghi niccolo.camarlinghi at pi.infn.it
Fri Sep 12 06:29:58 EDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm trying to extract a surface of a sphere of radius 250 px in an image
of 515*512*512 px and calculate volume and area of this object(this kind
of problem should reproduce the computational cost of working with the
pleura surface extracted from a lung CT ).

My procedure is divided in 4 steps

0) Creating  the sphere
1) I extract the surface using BinaryMask3DMeshSource
2) I convert the triangular mesh obtained from the previous step to a
Simplex mesh using TriangleMeshToSimplexMesh
3) I evaluate the volume and the area of this simplex mesh using

My problem in the second step the memory consumption is very high (the
process uses swap on a 64 bit machine with 4 gb of ram ).
My question is: Is there any way to reduce the memory impact of the
TriangleMeshToSimplexMesh filter ?

i allegated the code i'm using

Best Regards

Niccolo' Camarlinghi