[Insight-users] ImageIO & GUI Support : TCON 2.0 : Topic forTomorrow : Request for Feedback

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Sep 12 09:17:15 EDT 2008

Hi Niels,

Thanks for your feedback on this proposal.

The discussion during last week's Tcon was not very extensive.

We have now added  a Proposl Wiki page at:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Oversight_Committee#2008

please follow the link:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:ImageIO_API_for_GUI_Support

In general the methods that we are proposing will be declared
"virtual" at the level of the ImageIOBase class, and they will
be overloaded in the derived ImageIO specific classes.

In the case of the proposed API:

     * unsigned int GetNumberOfExtensions() const;
     * std::string GetNthExtension(unsigned int) const

we were thinking only on the Write side of the GUI, since
it is at this point that GUI users need more guidance on
what options are available to them.

But,... you have a point in that the same would be useful
in the context of reading files.  We just added this comment
to the proposal page.

We will be discussing this again today at the tcon:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Agenda%26Status_091208

For instructions on how to join the Tcon 2.0 in Second Life,
please look at:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_in_Second_Life