[Insight-users] ITK and GPU programming

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:01:48 EDT 2008

Not at all, I think.

For example, if you use something like CUDA than you need to first
which algorithms you want to port to the GPU. Than you have to think
about how you may design the algorithm in a way that could be
parallelized (you can launch thousands of threads on a GPU). Also, how
you optimize code for a CPU is completely different from how you
optimize for a GPU (where the math is almost free).

For visualization, you would not change much. You can still use
OpenGL, DirectX or libraries like VTK... but how you speed up the
algorithms (registration, for example) is what matters.

Anja

2008/9/30 Pauline Audenino <pauline.audenino at magellium.fr>:
> Hi all
>

> I intend to build an application manipulating medical images and I am
> studying the opportunity of using VTK/ITK.
>
> In order to make up my mind, I'd like to know if it is possible to combine
> ITK and GPU programming.
>

> Thank you in advance
>

> Regards
>

> Pauline Audenino