[Insight-users] Visible Human Dataset

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 8 15:04:43 EDT 2009

Hello Zein,

You can find all the information for the original data here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/visible_human.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/getting_data.html

The uncompressed Fullcolor slices are 7471104 bytes. The original data
on the ftp is losslessly "Z" compress, but the sizes of these files
very. They are originally named a_vm1001.raw.Z to a_vm2878.raw.Z

Then the radiological frozenCT data is name c_vm1006.fro.Z to
c_vm2882.fro.Z when they are decompressed they are only 527704 bytes.

As your data does not match any of the original data, it has likely
been processed some how. Hopefully there is information contained in
the .inf file to help you.

Good luck,
Brad

On Apr 7, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Zein Salah wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a copy of the Visible Human data (colored, male) which I
> downloaded some years ago. I am trying now to read it using itk. I
> found information how to generate a .mhd file for the raw images
> that I have. My problem is that I do not any more know the
> specification of the data, i.e. resolution, pixel type, etc.
>
> The data look like this:
>
> - There are raw files named as follows: c_vm1006.raw,
> c_vm1007.raw, ..., c_vm2882.raw.
> - There is a file named vismale_fro.inf
> - The size of each raw file is exactly  4,980,736 bytes
>
> Does any body have this data? Can somebody help me identifying the
> specification of the data that I have, probably with a suitable .mhd
> file?
>
> Much thanks,
>
> Zein
> <ATT00001.txt>