[Insight-users] Problem with writing DICOM using KeepOriginalUID

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 06:26:48 EDT 2009

[cc-ing itk user mailing list for archival purpose]

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Martin Kavec <martin.kavec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: Re: Problem with writing DICOM using KeepOriginalUID
> Date: Tuesday 21 April 2009
> From: Martin Kavec <martin.kavec at gmail.com>
> To: insight-users at itk.org
>
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> the two logs are attached.
>
> Keep_UID_Off.log is generated from the series, for which all the slices are
> imported to Osirix, but series is generated as a new study ... not good.
>
> Keep_UID_On.log is generated from the series, for which few slices are missing
> when imported to Osirix, and the series is recognized as a new series in the
> original study.

Ok, the good news, both files are 100% identical (unless you did a
mistake on your side).
The bad news is: Osirix is using some fields that I do not know of to
order the slices.

Can you run something like:

 find my_working_dicom/ -type f -exec gdcmdump {} \; | grep UID | sort | uniq

Some consider it to be sensitive information, so you could check on
your side that:
1. There is only one Study Instance UID per directory
2. There is only one Series Instance UID per directory
3. There is only one Frame of Reference UID per directory
4. The the number of SOP Instance UID in one dir is equal to the one
in the other one.

> Please note, that for each dicom file (with of without KeepOriginalUID)
> gdcminfo returned:
>
> IOD Verification: failed

That was a work-in-progress to support PS 3.3-2008 in GDCM that made
it into gdcm 2.0.10 while I should have removed this debugging output
(it is meaningless).

Thanks,
--
Mathieu