[Insight-users] Problem with writing DICOM using KeepOriginalUID

Martin Kavec martin.kavec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:03:04 EDT 2009

Thanks a lot for your input, Mathieu,

Here is what I find:

I have 182 files (slices) in the output directories for the both situations,
KeppOriginalUID On and commeted out. Please note that the number of slices
(files) omitted by Osirix varies. If I run my code multiple times slices at
different positions and different number of slices is omitted. So this
problem is a bit intermittent. For this particular run there were 180 slices
recognized.

> Can you run something like:
>
>  find my_working_dicom/ -type f -exec gdcmdump {} \; | grep UID | sort |
> uniq
>
> Some consider it to be sensitive information, so you could check on
> your side that:
> 1. There is only one Study Instance UID per directory

OK

> 2. There is only one Series Instance UID per directory

OK

> 3. There is only one Frame of Reference UID per directory

OK

> 4. The the number of SOP Instance UID in one dir is equal to the one
> in the other one.

Not OK. The number of unique SOPInstanceUID and MediaStorageSOPInstanceUID is
correct (182) for the series with KeepOriginalOn commented out, and 181 WITH
KeepOriginalOn.

After a while I identified the two files having the same SOPInstanceUID and
MediaStorageSOPInstanceUID, I changed them to a unique ones (checked that)
and now Osirix reads in 181 slices, that is one more. But still one slice is
missing.

I found that with respect to the other files/slices in the series with
KeepOriginalOn commented out, the following tags were left unchanged in one
or two files: (0002,0013) and (0002, 0012). While this may not affect my
situation, it is strange that these tags were left behind.

Is there anything more I could test?

Thanks a lot,

Martin