[Insight-users] Using the meshing classes in ITK

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 2 06:56:18 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

This is more of a general question. I would like to know more about
generating meshes from MR and CT data. So, I have a brain image and I
would like to generate a tetrahedral based mesh from it and then use
it further for some FEM processing. I am a newbie to this field and
would like to ask a couple of questions and would be very grateful if
someone can take the time to answer them:

- What pre-processing do I need to do to the itk image so that I can
feed it to a mesh generator? Would I first need to segment the bit
that I am interested in? So, would I need to segment the background
out of the image.
- I am guessing the mesh generators would need some point set as their
input. How could I generate a point set from an itk image?

I am quite new to this area and am a bit lost as to how to start.
Would really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Anja