[Insight-users] Using the meshing classes in ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 2 18:46:25 EST 2009

Hi  Anja,

                  Welcome to ITK !

Your question is a very interesting one.

And to put it shortly:

         It is one for which we don't have
         a full answer involving only ITK methods.

There are two major pieces to what you are
trying to do:

1)  Segmenting brain structures from MR  and CT brain data.

2)  Generating tetrahedral meshes from the segmented
     regions

For (1), ITK provides a very rich set of methods.

For (2), you will have to use additional tools.

Regarding (1), the type of segmentation methods that you
need to use is closely related to the specific brain structure
that you want to segment.

Popular methods are:

* Region growing
* Level Sets
* Statistical Classification
* Atlas-based segmentation

and combinations of them, for example

* EM segmentation.

You will find an introduction to (some of the)
segmentation methods in ITK, in the
Software Guide:

  http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

You will also find a good deal of Brain segmentation
tools at NAMIC:
http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Main_Page

and

NITRC:
http://www.nitrc.org/

Many of them, based on ITK.

Regarding the tetrahedral mesh generation:
ITK itself does not provide that functionality.

The tool that you should try is:
http://www.ccad.uiowa.edu/mimx/IA-FEMesh/

(which is also used by several groups at NAMIC):
http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/NA-MIC_NCBC_Collaboration:Automated_FE_Mesh_Development

This tool needs as input a surface.
(a 2D manifold embedded in a 3D space)

You can generate such surface by taking the
segmentation (typically a binary image) of the
brain structures of your interests and extracting
its Iso-surface with VTK (typically with the
vtkContourFilter) or with a ready-to-use tool
like ParaView http://www.paraview.org).
(which is based on VTK).

     Please take a look at these resources
     and let us know if you have further